The research team at InMobi is excited to have released our latest series of research reports dubbed the Mobile Media Consumption research at Mobile World Congress. This report is the second in the series to cover 14 countries on an on-going basis to keep abreast of how mobile devices have changed the way we consume media.
From our research results it clearly reinforces that the growth of the mobile media is immense throughout the globe and constantly reshaping how we interact in our everyday lives.
Here are a few interesting statistics from our second global release:
- Globally mobile ranks first in media consumption with 1.8 hours of the 7 hours spent consuming media —this is more than a quarter of time spent on mobile, outpacing TV (1.5 hours), PCs (1.6 hours) and any other channel.
- Internet access via mobile is no longer a niche activity and is increasingly becoming part of everyone’s lives. 50% of the average global mobile web users now use mobile as either their primary or exclusive means of going online
- In addition to mobile Web, study reveals the accelerated usage of mobile apps and found that the average consumer actively uses 6.5 apps throughout a 30-day period.
- Mobile has been thoroughly adopted among users largely becomes of its convenience & on the go factors
- Growth in mobile use in the coming year will be primarily driven by social media, search/download apps and search activities.
- Globally, 54% of users discover mobile ads via apps, 40% on a search engine, 27% on a retailer website and 23% on a video website.
- Mobile is now used largely as part of the consumer’s shopping experience:
- 75%say mobile advertising has introduced them to something new
- 45%say mobile ads have influenced their purchase in-store.
- 46% say mobile ads have influenced them to buy via mobile.
- Mobile ads are also proving to be an effective medium for advertisers to reach consumers on go: After seeing an mobile ads,
- 80%of users downloaded an app
- 67%of users visited the website of the advertiser
- 52%of users visit the store/retailer/business to get additional information
- 45%of users locate an advertiser on map
- 37% of users call the advertiser.
- Mobile commerce space is growing like no other and will quickly become a playground for innovative retailers. 80% of consumers plan to conduct mobile commerce in the next 12 months.
The Reality: Mobile media isn’t new, but continues to evolve and surprises with opportunities & innovations.
As always, tweets, comments and readership are welcome. We look forward to hearing your feedback.