Independent mobile ad network reports on global mobile media trends, mobile advertising, and its impact on purchases and m-commerce among consumers
SAN MATEO, February 28, 2012:InMobi, the largest independent mobile ad network, has announced the results of its comprehensive global Mobile Media Consumption Q4 2011 Survey.
Key highlights include:
Mobile has surpassed TV in terms of time spent,with:
- Mobile web users spending 27% of their media time on mobile
- Spending 22% of their media time on TV
Mobile consumers recognize the impact of mobile advertising on purchase behavior and their willingness to transact over mobile, with:
- Three quarters planning to conduct mCommerce activities within the next year (76%)
- 42% claiming that mobile advertising has introduced them to something new
Some of the most notable findings from the InMobi’s Mobile Media Consumption survey are:
- On any given day, mobile web users spend 27% of their media time on mobile, 22% on TV and 32% online.
- Availability, ease of use, and privacy are the top three driving factors to be on mobile
- Social media, entertainment, and search are the top three mobile media activities among mobile web users. This popularity will continue to grow in the next 12 months
Mobile Advertising and Commerce Trends
- Mobile, PCs, and TV are the most powerful media that influence the purchase decision among mobile users
- 66% of mobile users are just as comfortable with mobile advertising as they are with TV or online advertising
- Advertising on mobile devices has led to mobile gaining tremendous popularity as a viable shopping channel, with
- – 42% of respondents indicating that mobile ads have introduced them to something new
- – 23% of respondents indicating that mobile ads saves time and money
- – 14% of respondents indicating that mobile ads have influenced them to buy via mobile
Naveen Tewari, CEO, InMobi, says of the survey’s findings: “Mobile devices are redefining the media landscape across the world.As we move into 2012, we will continue to see these trends rapidly accelerate as consumers rely ever more heavily on their mobile device. While the opportunities to exploit mobile media remain strong, the stakeholders across the industry will be confronted with ongoing questions and challenges which need to be addressed in order to meet the growing expectations of the customer.”
InMobi recruited respondents via its global mobile ad network between September and November, 2011, andused Decision Fuel’s and On Device Research’s mobile web platforms to collect a representative sample, including a full range of Smart-phone & feature phone users. The sample was weighted according to available mobile web demographics and included 20,000 mobile consumers in 18 markets across all continents.
The intention of the survey was tostrengthen InMobi’s thought leadership position in the mobile ad network space by providing agencies, publishers and advertisers with the latest, cutting-edge research on media consumption habits of consumers on mobile devicesand thereby contributing value to the mobile ecosystem in delivering the best mobile products for its partners and customers.
InMobi is the largest independent mobile advertising network. With offices on five continents InMobi provides advertisers, publishers and developers with a uniquely global solution for advertising. The network is growing and now delivers the unprecedented ability to reach 485 Million consumers, in over 165 countries, through more than 93.4 Billion mobile ad impressions monthly. The recent acquisition of Sprout, a leading HTML5 authoring platform for mobile rich media, helps expand the InMobi offering to creative agencies and brands.
InMobi is venture-backed by investors including: SoftBank, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Sherpalo Ventures. The company has offices in Bangalore, Johannesburg, London, Nairobi, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore and Tokyo.