- While there is no single dominant handset, Nokia phones delivered the majority of ad impressions in Indonesia with 56% market share, serving over 15 billion mobile ad impressions in the quarter ending May 2012
- Android powered devices continue to gain market share from a low base reaching 9.7% among operating systems
- Apple handsets still stand far behind at merely 3% market share
Indonesia, June21, 2012- InMobi, the world’s largest independent mobile ad network, today released its Mobile Network Update – Indonesia Market, covering the period Marchto May 2012. Based on InMobi’s network data, the report reveals that the Indonesia mobile ad market grew year-on-year by 99% to close to 27 billion ad impressions delivered by InMobi in the quarter ending May 2012. The Android platform saw a significant increase of 8.3share points in ad impressions compared to the same period in 2011, now serving 9.7% of all impressions in the country.
Key Indonesia findings include:
- The market size doubled(+99%) serving close to 27 billion mobile ad impressions in the quarter ending May 2012.
- Smartphone impressions grew by an impressive 123%, showing a faster rate of growth than the feature phone market at 93%
- Smartphones accounted for 22% of all impressions.
- NokiaOS (33.4%) and Symbian OS (22.5%) stay the top platforms in Indonesia, delivering over 15 billion impressions in QE 2012 slowly, though losing share to Android.
- While Nokia OS and Symbian OS still hold close to 56% of the market, they are slowing losing shares at -1.0% and -5.3% respectively
- Android saw a strong gain of 8.3share points in ad impressions over QE May 2011, now reaching close to 10% market share.
- Nokia (56%), Samsung (12%) and Sony Ericsson (11%) round out the top three manufacturers in the country based on impressions.
- Among the top three, only Samsung gained market share (+8.9 share points)
- Though growing their market share in Indonesia, RIM and Apple stand at merely 4% and 3% respectively
- In terms of top devices based on their impression share, Indonesia’s top five most popular devices are all from Nokia, led by the X2-01 with 4.6%.
- With 56% market share in Indonesia, Nokia has a similar strong position as in India (53%), but clearly above its Asia Pacific average of 42% share of ad impressions
- Indonesia has a very strong fragmentation without any single handset holding more than 5% share.
Comments Phalgun Raju, Regional Director and General Manager for Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan at InMobi: “Indonesia continues to show strong growth rates as one of the most mobile-centric markets in this region. Smartphone adoption will continue to ramp up quickly – with Android leading the way – allowing brands even more creative and engaging opportunities to connect with their audiences.”
Phalgun continued: “The close to 27 billion impressions served by InMobi in the quarter ending May 2012, place us as the largest independent mobile advertising network in Indonesia.This deep network reach and growth in rich media advertising we develop for top brands, as well as our recently announced partnership with Detikcom show InMobi’s strong commitment to Indonesia and further reinforces our leadership position in the region.”
Indonesia OS Share: Quarter ending May 2012
|OS||Impressions (bn)||% Share||Point Change|
InMobi is the largest independent mobile advertising network. With offices on five continents InMobi provides advertisers, publishers and developers with a uniquely global solution for advertising. The network is growing and now delivers the unprecedented ability to reach 578 Million consumers, in over 165 countries, through more than 93.4 Billion mobile ad impressions monthly. The recent acquisition of Sprout, a leading HTML5 authoring platform for mobile rich media, helps expand the InMobi offering to creative agencies and brands.
InMobi is venture-backed by investors including: SoftBank, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Sherpalo Ventures. The company has offices in Bangalore, Johannesburg, London, Nairobi, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore and Tokyo.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
PRecious Communications for InMobi
Tel: +65 9170 2470