A colleague was recently telling me that in the rural Indian village she comes from, nobody builds big, beautiful homes without putting a scary-face mask outside the door to keep demons away. The custom is believed to have originated several centuries ago and is still in vogue since a flourishing home is automatically expected to attract bad omens, spirits or even the odd thief. Hanging up the scary mask serves as a warning and protects inhabitants from a potential miscreant.
It’s a similar situation we are witnessing in the mobile ad industry. With the proliferation of mobile devices and our increased reliance on smartphones has come the unavoidable issue of security and data privacy. As I like to say, here are the demons we hang up quite proudly on our network at InMobi to protect our users:
- Dedicated fraud detention team: The mobile ad industry is in its infancy and is attempting to grapple with every new, emerging fraud. InMobi makes a determined effort to ensure that all frauds including click frauds, hacker attacks, data breaches are all contained by a dedicated team providing 24/7 support to ensure fraud detection and prevention. Customer data and user data are important to us and we guard them both zealously.
- Adult content: Each ad on the InMobi network is manually reviewed by a real human, not software, to help stop illicit material from sneaking onto our network. Our dedicated team of 24/7 people helps to ensure that there is no accidental serving of adult content.
- Product Security: InMobi prides itself on hiring talented and trained engineers who are specifically assigned to work on security for our products. The products we produce are thoroughly checked and reinforced to prevent network intrusions and potential information leaks.
- We have a Head of Privacy! InMobi has appointed Chris Davies as the Head of Privacy for our ad network. Other than his job of legally protecting InMobi as General Counsel, EMEA, Davies also serves on the MEF (The Global Community for Mobile Content and Commerce) to help lead the organization’s privacy charter. He is also on the Advisory Board of the Future of Privacy Forum, a Washington DC based think tank advancing responsible data practices.
- Opt-out: When you choose to opt out of use of data by InMobi for interest-based advertising, InMobi will not place ads based on your interests across its network. However, you will continue to receive other ads that are not based on your interests.
- COPPA: InMobi complies with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act and does not knowingly collect any personal information about children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have inadvertently collected this information then it will be immediately deleted from our database.
InMobi is at the forefront of a rapidly evolving industry, and we have the responsibility of being torchbearers not just with our products and services but also with our measures in regards to data privacy and security.
Rest assured that both security and data privacy are taken very seriously at InMobi and we are committed to ensuring that all parties associated with InMobi are proud and confident of their association with us.