Trust and Safety
Ensuring the safety of end users and peace of mind for advertisers and publishers is of paramount importance for InMobi.
As the number of mobile applications and spending in in-app advertising grows, unfortunately so does fraud. It is constantly evolving, and online fraudsters are always changing their tactics to try to steal money from advertisers.
As a trusted partner to leading brands and publishers across the globe, InMobi has established processes and checks on our supply-side platform (SSP) and exchange to ensure brand safety and a fraud-free experience.
The term “Brand Safety” describes the controls that companies in the digital advertising supply chain employ to protect the reputation of brands when their ads appear next to illegal content, which may lead to a related loss of return on investment.
A great deal of content online today is not curated and brand unsuitable. InMobi adheres to the Brand Safety floor defined by the 4A’s with IAB and has a zero tolerance policy regarding brand safety and Invalid activities. The below set of categories (Images/Video/Audio/Text) are considered as high risk:
- Adult and explicit sexual content
- Arms and ammunition
- Death or injury
- Online piracy
- Hate speech and acts of aggression
- Sensitive social issue or violation of human rights
- Spam or harmful content
Connected TV and Over-the-Top (OTT) Video
Majority of internet users now watch videos online each month. Most of this is consumed on OTT apps on mobile devices and through Connected TV. Fraud is not new to the OTT space, although the rise of OTT apps has put SSPs under pressure to determine what content is truly premium.
While InMobi requires its demand partners to ensure that the content shared adheres to our content guidelines, InMobi also has a stringent vetting process for CTV/OTT supply partners and endeavors to reduce any non-compliance. We adhere to MRC, IAB and TAG guidelines to ensure transparency and safety for all our demand partners. All apps are reviewed to check if they are COPPA-compliant. InMobi is also integrated with MRC-accredited third-party vendors to identify and proactively prevent any instance of invalid activities in the system.
Protecting Advertisers and Publishers from Invalid Activities
Measures to Protect Publishers:
InMobi requires its demand partners to restricts any advertisements that are offensive, deceptive or misleading, contain spam, promote illegal products or services. We have a zero-tolerance policy for advertisers who do not comply with our ad quality guidelines.
Our ad content guidelines are region-specific and abide to each country’s laws and regulations on digital advertising. Our creative review process is constantly updated and improved considering the business inflow on both the demand and supply ecosystem. With business scaling at both ends, we aim to keep the system clean and to cater to a diverse client base. We strive endlessly to maintain the highest quality standards to ensure both buyer and seller have a fair advantage in the ad auction.
We monitor and screen all ads through multiple ad quality (AQ) processes to ensure that only good quality ads are rendered on our supply. We have a comprehensive AQ response protocol where every demand partner and their ads are reviewed. If they are found to have sent brand unsafe/bad ads, they are immediately removed and suspended from our systems.
InMobi’s review process runs numerous back-end checks, including:
- Buyer Verification: Buyer email ID, contact number and address are verified to make sure it’s a valid buyer. IAB taxonomy is followed to categorize the creative.
- Programmatic Supply Preference: InMobi supports various kinds of supply filtering controls based on the buyer’s preferences (client-specific safety filtering). We also honor all queries per second (QPS) limitations set by the buyer.
- Ad Quality and Malware: Every publisher is concerned about the types of ads shown on their app. To protect publishers from malvertising like fraudulent domains, auto-redirects, scam ads and pop-ups, the InMobi SDK has a feature that captures all auto-redirections caused by any ad that is rendered on our supply. We also work with third-party vendors to identify such fraud and they are rejected before the ad is rendered.
- Fraud Profiling: Our internal ad screening tools identify threats by verifying the domains in real time and blocks any ad with a known issue.
Measures to Protect Advertisers:
Ad fraud is type of scam which deceives advertisers into paying for something worthless such as fake traffic or even leads generated by bots. Ad fraud provides misaligned incentives which open the door to a tremendous amount of fraudulent online activities whether it's by non-human or human traffic.
To protect advertisers from such invalid activities, InMobi implements strict policies and processes when onboarding publishers including:
- Seller Verification: Publisher properties undergo thorough evaluation, including ownership verification. Apps and sites are categorized and ads.txt is utilized for mobile web and app-ads.txt for in-app supply. Additionally, all publishers must comply with guidelines established by the Media Rating Council (MRC) around invalid traffic (IVT) and viewability, along with the TAG (Trustworthy Accountability Group) Certified Against Fraud guidelines.
- Ad Adjacency: All publishers using the InMobi platform are required to adhere to InMobi content guidelines, and apps with a significant user base and request volume are reviewed on regular intervals to screen for any ad adjacency or ad experience issues.
- Invalid Traffic Filtering: Extensive technical checks ensure ads are rendered on the registered and verified publisher property. All unregistered bundle ids are immediately blocked and the responsible publisher is deactivated.
- Viewability Verification: We work with MRC accredited viewability measurement company and our internal controls ensure that the ad is contained in the viewable space of the app based on pre-established criteria as per the campaigns set up.
- Anti-Piracy, Industry Standard Compliance and Certifications: InMobi is certified with TAG’s Anti-Fraud program. InMobi does not allow apps and follows the industry-wide app blocklist and domain blocklist. Publishers suspended for invalid activities are prevented from monetizing again on InMobi’s platform.
TAKE DOWN POLICY: InMobi has established a well-defined Anti-Fraud Governance and Take Down Policy.
InMobi conducts internal audits on a regular basis across all supply and demand sources. This also includes quarterly TAG CAF audits and yearly reviews by independent auditors. Red Flag malvertising events are tracked and reported. Site and app traffic-related data is recorded, and any deviation determined as an anomaly or abnormal in the supply chain gets immediately reported to InMobi’s Trust and Safety Team.
Bad players are identified quickly based on multiple validation reports from MRC accredited partners combined with in-house technology and investigation. If any account is determined fraudulent, it gets suspended. An automated communication is then sent to the seller with the reason for suspension.
If the number of Red Flag events from specific buyer breaches the defined threshold, the advertiser is suspended. Account suspension is communicated directly to buyers and partners by InMobi’s central quality team.
InMobi adheres to the MRC, TAG and IAB guidelines.